The Ultimate Guide: How To Pick A Combination Lock
LET’S CRACK YOUR COMBINATION LOCK
How To Pick A Combination Lock: Table Of Contents
- Method 1 – Shimming
- Method 1 – Cracking
- Method 1 – Combinations
- Other Thoughts
Method 1: Shimming It
THE SHIM TOOL
What we are going to do here is create a shim out of a soda pop can. Yes, just a regular ole soda can. All that you need for this method is pop can and a cutting tools like scissors or a knife. This method is best for learning how to pick a combination lock but it can also be implemented with other sorts of padlocks.
Now that we have out M-Shape shim take the top of it and fold the top down onto it. Follow this up by folding each side up like it is pictured in the step 6 image above. In all likelihood, the sides of your strips will need to be folded a few times so they wrap around the tool. And Ka-Boom! You’ve just made a proper make shift shim that will open almost any combination lock that you can find. The last thing you need to do with your newly crafted shim is to place it on the “U” of the lock and press on it until it looks circular in shape – you are essentially molding the shim to the U of the lock.
HOW TO PICK A COMBINATION LOCK WITH A SHIM
Alrighty, so now our shim is nice and rounded, or if you purchased one of these babies then you are already working with a rounded shim. Now, just slide it on the inside of the U of the lock’s archwhile making sure that the shim is wrapped around the side that has the locking latch. Pull up on the U and hold it in place. Simultaneously, work the shim down into the crack between the U and the body of the lock. Work it down into the crevasse as far down as it will go. Once you have pushed the shim all the way to the bottom make sure to hold it in place and then quickly move the U of the lock down and back up and it should pop right on open. Now that’s how you pick a combination lock!
This process will damage your soda can shim if you made one, however if you bought one, then it will be good forever. The lock will remain unharmed so you don’t have to worry about ruining this thing. There has been a move by major lock manufacturers including Master Lock to create shim proof locks, however these can still be shimmed it just may take a little extra time. Now that you know to pick a lock with a combination, let’s learn how to crack a combination lock!
Method 2: Cracking A Combination Master Lock
1. TURN THE DIAL
2. PRESS UP ON THE SHACKLE
3. FINDING THE STICKING POINT
- Turn the dial clockwise until the lock will no longer continue to spin. Write the number down and keep going.
- Keep the tension on the U shackle. Now turn the dial to the left, counter clockwise until the dial stops spinning. Again, jot this number down. Also write down the range between the first gap and the second gap (like going from 32 to 2)
4. LET TENSION OFF
5. PUT TENSION BACK ON
6. FIGURING OUT THE 3RD NUMBER
Who said that learning how to crack a combination lock was going to be easy?
- Now peep out the numbers that you wrote down and cross out all the numbers that have a .5 at the end. There should be a minimum of eight numbers that you will shed in this step.
- Cross out all the numbers that have a common number in the 1’s position. For instance if the numbers you have are 15, 5, and 28 then cross out the 15 and the 5.
- The number that does not share a common digit there is the 3rd number in this combination
7. LET’S DO A LITTLE MATH
Take the third number in our combination that we just figured out and divide it by 4. Whatever number is left that does not evenly divide – write it down. For instance if my number is 28, the number 4 divides into 28, seven times. There is no number left that was not evenly divided into by number, therefor I would write down the number 0. Zero is your “unicorn” number
8. FINDING THE 1ST NUMBER
- Take the unicorn number (zero in our example) and add the number 4 to it. Write that number down, in our case that is the number 4
- Keep adding 4 over and over until the sum of these numbers reaches a number that would go around the entire dial. Write down all the numbers with each addition of 4.
- One of the numbers we wrote down is the first number of the combination.
9. FINDING THE 2ND NUMBER
If the unicorn number that we calculated earlier is equal to 0 or 1 – add 2 to it. If that unicorn number is something other than 1 or 2 then subtract 2 from that unicorn number.
- The unicorn number in our example is 4, so subtract 2 and you get the number 2
- Write this number down.
- Now add 4 to that number and continue to do so until you reach a number that gets you all the way around the dial just like last time.
- One of these numbers is the second number in cracking this combination lock.
10. CUT OUT SOME NUMBERS
If a number is +/- 2 numbers away from the third number in our combination lock, then cross those numbers out. Pretty simple, right? Now stick with us here…
11. TRIAL BY FIRE
Method 3: Combinations
When You Know The Serial Number Of Your Lock
1. Go To MasterLock.com In Order To Download Their Form.
2. Get A Notary To Sign This Paper
Yes, there is always a fee and no, Master Lock is not paying for your bad memory. Get this bull signed and then you are on your way.
3. Copy Your Lock
4. Put Yo Documents In The Mail Dude!
Master Lock Warehouse
1600 W. La Quinta Rd.
Nogales, AZ 85621
The How To Pick A Combination Lock Conclusion
So now you no longer have to pontificate whether these combination locks can be picked. The answer is yes and in many more ways than other types of locks can. This method words for all types of combination locks whether they have a spin dial individually spinning numbers. In this tutorial we have shown you how to pick a combination lock, how to crack a combination lock and how to get your combination to your lock from Master Lock.